Friday, October 16, 2009

Run Away Moments

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away ~ Eudora Welty


Welty is absolutely correct. Photography is much more than an artistic discipline or profession or business. It is an account of humanity and nature. Think of a photograph that held your attention; that moved you. That image is more than just good composition and dynamic lighting. The energy of that particular moment is captured. You see it and feel it. If you lived it, the memories pour through your mind. There are the stories with all the supporting characters. It is all said without a word. A skilled and gifted photographer reveals the soul of an individual, the spirit of an event and the essence of an era.

This is my role as a photographer and I take this to heart. For more than 30 years, I have had the enormous privilege to visually document hundreds of weddings. I take great care to ensure that each bridal party member, relative and wedding guest are photographed. My patrons often share their gratitude of my work and appreciation of my persistence. In a few situations, my photographs are the last images and memories a couple has of a relative or a best friend.

Early in my career, I discovered the implications of my work. It was really profound when I began to draw connections between my job as a photographer and my own personal life. My father past away when I was 10 years old and the only image I have of him is a faded out of focus photo. At that moment, my title, photographer, moved from a career to a mission. It’s my calling so to speak.


Today, I conduct introductory classes in photography. I tell all my students on the first day, that this isn’t just some hobby. What I impart to you here is the responsibility to become the documentarians of your family history or more appropriately your family story. Make sure you take your cameras with you to every family event, vacation and celebration to stop those moments from running away.

No comments:

Post a Comment