Saturday, November 14, 2009

Essential Elements of Photography


What an amazing autumn I have had.  Not only have I participated in three incredible workshops this fall, but I also taught an introduction to photography through the Livonia Continuing Education Program.  For me, it’s a real gift to share my love of photography with others.   Like my mentors, Monty Zucker, Eddie Tapp and Clay Blackmore, I am very passionate about my craft. 

There is so much to learn about photography.  First, there is exploring the inner workings of your camera, learning about its strengths and how to work within its limitations.  Second, there is understanding the art and science of lighting.  Knowing how to utilize natural lighting to your advantage can enhance your photographic compositions, giving them that added dramatic element.  Finally, there is composition.  This is training your eye to see through the camera frame.  Learning how to frame your subject can launch your photographs from ordinary snap shots to family heirlooms.  Camera operation, lighting and composition are the essential elements of the craft. 

This September, my curriculum focused on the three basic aspects of photography.  For six weeks, I designed lessons that initiated my students’ journey into the art and discipline.  Progressively, my assignments provided the building blocks to continue their exploration.  At the end of the course, we planned field trip to Northville, pulling together all that was learned.  The students were encouraged to share their photographs for feedback and discussion. 

Though the session was brief it was very productive and I’m looking forward to conducting this class again in Spring 2010.  Until then, I encourage my students to keep practicing your craft.  Keep training your eye.  Each time you pick up your camera, see if you can discover something new about it.  Play with lighting and filters.  Share your work with others and get feedback.  Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because this is how we learn and how we refine our skills. 

My step-daughter told me that modern dance pioneer, Martha Graham once said, “It takes ten years, usually to make a dancer.  It takes ten years of handling the instrument, handling the material with which you are dealing, before you know it completely.”  This is true for her as a dancer and it is certainly true of photography.  It is an art, science and discipline that is learned over time through education and practice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment